Sarah (bookworm1225) wrote,

Yellowstone Trip, Day 3 (Monday, August 29)

We've been trying for years to see two particular geysers erupt--Fan and Mortar (they erupt together). Problem is, when they're erupting, the intervals are usually 2-5 days. And they seem to have a penchant for erupting at night when we're around. However, they'd erupted the past Friday, so people were definitely starting to get excited for the next one. Thus, we decided to hang around in that area (well beyond most of the other big geysers of the Lower Geyser Basin) as much as we could.

We headed down there in the morning, and caught part of a Rocket Geyser major eruption. (If it erupts, it starts about an hour into the eruption of the one next to it, Grotto Geyser.) (1, 2, 3, 4. Not long afterwards, Riverside Geyser erupted. (1, 2, 3, movie1, 4, 5) And not long after that, Daisy Geyser erupted. (1, 2, 3, 4) It was quite windy, but we managed to have lunch, and see rather a good eruption of it.

After lunch, we made our way over to Grand Geyser, which erupted about mid-afternoon. (1, 2, movie) After that, we moved back toward the Fan and Mortar area. We stopped at Oblong Geyser and caught its eruption, though it was quite wimpy. (1, 2, 3, 4) While waiting there, I also managed to get a couple of pictures of an osprey on the wing. Then we went back to Riverside for its second eruption of the day. Since it was afternoon, the angle of the sun created rainbows in the spray. (1, 2, 3, movie2, 4)

We went back to Fan and Mortar and waited for a while. Mom was getting quite tired, though, so we decided to head back. But the geyser gazers there told us to stay--something was happening. And things were happening--splashing in Main Vent, River Vent coming on for a bit, and other vents turning on and off, all of which indicated a possible build-up to an eruption. So we stayed, and watched. Angle, Gold, and High Vents played played back and forth, and excitement built among all the watchers. But those three vents just wouldn't quite get going enough to indicate that a true eruption was imminent. Angle Vent kept erupting for half an hour, teasing and teasing us--the gazers hadn't ever seen a cycle quite like this before. But, after an hour and a half of waiting, everything finally stopped. There was no eruption.

And so, with that frustration, we went back, had dinner, and went to bed.
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened