Sarah (bookworm1225) wrote,

Yellowstone, day 5 (August 31)

We started the day heading to Grand Geyser. On the way, we saw two bison, who appeared to be sizing us up. We were able to get by them easily enough, though. The morning threatened rain, with lightning fairly close by, but thankfully, it never actually rained on us. After an hour or so of waiting, and watching smaller geysers around the area, like Old Tardy, Grand Geyser erupted--and it was a two-burster! (1, 2, 3) After the eruption, we started back to the van.

We'd just passed Castle Geyser, though, when we heard the call of "Beehive Indicator!" We were in a very bad position--whichever way we went, it would be quite a hike to get there. But then, the Indicator had been giving us a lot of lead time. So we decided to chance it. We turned around, went back to the junction of trails near Grand Geyser, and took the usual Beehive Stampede trail to the Hill. It was a stampede-and-a-half, but we made it with time to spare! The next dilemma was where to stand. It was another warm, very windy day, and the wind seemed like it would push the spray toward the east. But the east side is where one would see rainbows in the spray. I took a chance and went to the east side. My parents stayed on the west side. And, just as Beehive started, the wind shifted, getting everyone on the west side wet. I chose...wisely. *grin* And there was, indeed, a very nice rainbow, though, because of the wind, the water column never got as high as usual. (1, 2, 3)

After Beehive, we hung around the Hill for a while with some other geyser gazers, waiting for Depression Geyser. And it did erupt, so I finally got to see it from beginning to end. (1, 2)

It was time for lunch after this, and we relaxed again for a while. This is notable, really--we're such geyser chasers that we don't often actually *relax* while we're in Yellowstone. But we were still hanging around waiting for word about Fan and Mortar, which kept us from going off to other geyser basins. But eventually, we went out for the afternoon Grand eruption, passing Castle along the way. (I just liked the juxtaposition of geyser cone and cloud.) We waited at Grand for about two hours, which isn't too bad, and were rewarded with another beautiful two-burst eruption! (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

Yes, I do have a serious addiction to taking pictures of Grand Geyser. Why do you ask?

We had dinner, then my parents went up on the Hill for a stroll. I stayed by the Old Faithful Inn to sit on the porch and cull my pictures, which I hadn't had time to do for a couple of days. Then I realized that Old Faithful Geyser would be erupting right around sunset, so I positioned myself to try to get pictures of it backlit by the setting sun. Unfortunately, Old Faithful held off until the sun had just slipped behind the mountains. I took a couple of pictures anyway (1, 2), but they weren't quite what I wanted.

And so to bed, with still nothing at all from Fan and Mortar.
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened